Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Guild night

I had quilt guild last Monday yes last Monday.  I took pictures before the meeting so I could blog about it, still have not.  Now I have been on retreat and still no blogging.  So I thought I had better get my faithful blog readers updated on the projects I have been working on.  In fact I am quite excited because not only have I been stitching up a storm, I have crossed off a couple projects as totally finished!!!!!  I find it so easy to start a new project but very hard to finish.

I am on program this year at guild.  As one of the challenges that I decided to do, we were all given a box top.  The directions were easy, make something.  This is what I pulled out of the bag. 

I hung it on the design wall and I looked at it.  Circles.  What in quilting is circular??  I have been appliqueing a pillow with round flowers on it.  That was all I needed.  I decided on a farm scene and googled farm coloring book pages.  I have been investigating truponto lately.  So I worked away on it, labeled it and finished it in no tie flat, after I decided what to do.

The clouds, fence, tractor, barn and flowers are double battted, so they are puffy.  It is a very easy method that gives so much definition.  Here is a picture of them side by side.

So off to guild I go.  We put numbers on all 18 entries and the guild voted on what one they liked.  We had a double tie.  We had a tie for first and second, and a tie for third and fourth.  We drew numbers to determine the winner.  

  So I tied for first and won second place!!  I was very impressed.

My friend Joyce Richard made me the cutest wall hanging.  I just hung it in the sewing room so I can see it all the time.

Last month Shell did a demo on how to turn style applique a daisy  using your jelly roll strips.  I do not listen well, but I took the concept and ran with it.  I decided to trupunto the flowers, machine applique and then machine quilted the crap out of them.  After I had 4 blocks finished, I used Leah Daye's demo to use sashing strips to connect them together.  Then I decided to make borders for it.  I quilted them.  The corner blocks were thread painted.  I had read an article from Leah Daye on how to paint a flower, so I did that twice and then chose a simple one for the other two blocks.  I put it all together and did a reverse binding on it.  You sew it on the back first then machine stitch it down on the front.  I did have problems with this.  I changed stitches and had a better time after I took off my walking foot.  A label and a hanger and it was finished.

I will try to blog again very soon as I have more to share.  Until the next stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment